Tredegar House

Set in a beautiful 90 acre park, Tredegar House is one of the best examples of a 17th century Charles II mansion in Britain. The earliest surviving part of the building dates back to the early 1500ís. The House was the ancestral home of the Morgan Family, later lords Tredegar, for over 500 years. At the end of the 18th century the Morgans owned over 40,000 acres in Monmouthshire, Breconshire and Glamorgan. After the Civil War the present grand house was built, incorporating the south-west wing of the earlier medieval house. With the marriage of William Morgan and Blanche Morgan in 1661, not only was the splendid mansion completed with the help of her huge dowry, but also the joining of these two influential families made them a powerful force to be reckoned with over the next 250 years. Their fortunes continued to flourish down the generations, tremendously enhanced by the foresight and business enterprises of Sir Charles Gould Morgan throughout the 18th century. Following his father's financial successes, his son further expanded several commercial and industrial projects, and virtually established Newport as an important trade centre. Whilst consolidating their influence on the political and economic issues of the country, the Morgans had been desperately trying to secure a title as the final stamp of approval. They finally managed to secure a baronetcy in 1859, and in 1905 the first Viscount Tredegar was created. Death duties seriously depleted the family's financial assets throughout the next three generations until, in 1951, Tredegar House was stripped, the remaining contents auctioned, and the estate was sold. For 23 years Tredegar House served as a school but it was finally purchased by Newport Borough Council in 1976. With considerable financial help, this beautiful house has been gradually restored to something resembling its former splendour.

Below - some pictures mostly taken at the end of August 2008 - click to enlarge


 

The Barn

The Brewhouse

The House - main view

Druidic stone circle

To commemorate the National Eisteddfod

The enclosed courtyard / paddock area

Ornate interiors

The lake

The view north

Looking north from the house up the valley - now intersected by the M4

Another view of the house

Christmas Shop

Christmas at Tredegar House is marked by characters from a Christmas Carol, Victorian Christmas festivities, trinkets, Santa, mince pies and mulled wine

The Ghost of Christmas Present