Newport’s premier sporting team now sadly consigned to semi-professional status. Founded in 1875 they are conquerors of all the major touring teams. Many great players have graced the hallowed turf of Rodney Parade. Following the reorganisation of the game Newport now play in the Welsh Premiership with teams like Llandovery and Bedwas.



  The Rodney Parade surface has had its facelift with a state-of-the-art drainage system and new playing surface in readiness for the new season. The playing surface was completely stripped and the digging of holes and
gullies were made to install hundreds of yards of piping and tones of gravel slits and sand banks to drain water to the main drain output.Now the surface has been totally levelled and reseeded, a new irrigation system installed which also includes 16 outfield pop-up sprinklers and 8 infield sprinklers to help the ground staff, if and when they need a supply of water. The project is a joint venture between both the football and rugby clubs at a total cost of Ł110,000 in which County has been successful in applying for
a Football Foundation grant for its share.


Apr 28 - In a fine comeback Newport beat Connacht 27-25 yesterday in Athlone having been 22-3 down at half time. Scorers - Tries : Dan Robinson - who was Newport's MOM, Geraint O'Driscoll, Owen Broad and Geraint O'Driscoll 3c, 2p.


Apr 13 - After the sublime performance against Carmarthen Newport returned to their inconsistent best losing comfortably to struggling Swansea at the St. Helen's Ground by 24-9.


Apr 6 - A difficult season at home came to an end for Newport against Carmarthen Quins. Newport played with a complete freedom that has been lacking for most of the season producing their best rugby to soundly beat their depleted opponents 74-33. The remarkable score was assisted by superb conditions for rugby, a hard ground and brilliant sunshine. Newport produced some sparkling moves most notably involving fleet footed wings Owen Broad and Elliot Frewen. Darren Waters was superb, hard working, turning over ball. The match marked a farewell for some players including hooker Andrew Brown, a distinguished servant of the club in these dark days for club rugby in Wales.

Newport scored ten tries, nine converted for Geraint O'Driscoll. A brace each for Broad, Frewen, Franchi and Awcock. Waters and Lampitt added the others. O'Driscoll slotted two penalties.

Carmathen never gave up, scoring five tries including two interception efforts!

The attendance for the game was recorded as 450!


Mar 29 - Newport's seemingly endless series of fixtures against Cross Keys came to a satisfying end with a 18-13 victory over the valley side at Rodney Parade on Good Friday evening. Centre Dominic Franchi scored a try converted by O'Driscoll to give them a 7-6 half time lead. Leon Andrews scored a converted try early in the second half for Keys give them a 13-7. O'Driscoll hit back with two penalties before Elliot Frewen scored the late try that will probably scupper Keys play off hopes.


Mar 14 - Newport were edged out 12-11 by Aberavon in a poor contest watched by a crowd of less than 500 at Rodney Parade last night. The Black and Ambers crossed late on for their only try of the game from Owen Broad but were persistently denied possession in a messy and chaotic interpretation of the tackle area and offside by the referee. Jenkins and Carter scored for Aberavon, Davies adding a conversion. Tom Hancock scored two penalties for Newport. Once again, Newport lacked leadership and their coaches were clueless with substitutions of players late in the game suggesting that they had little idea what was going on in terms of the game. Ashton Hewitt was given ten minutes when it might have made better sense to keep James Ledbetter on the pitch. Andrew Quick should have come on earlier to contend with the physical presence of the Aberavon 9 who was being allowed to stand offside at the scrum. Newport should have been in the ear constantly of the referee regarding the blatant failure of Aberavon's players to roll away in the ruck etc. etc.


Newport and Neath served up a match low on skill but high on commitment at Rodney Parade yesterday. In front of a paltry crowd the match was illuminated by a moment of fine skill by Black and Amber winger Owen Broad, he chipped and collected from forty minutes out. The try converted by Gareth O Driscoll gave Newport a one point lead. they maintained the lead despite indiscipline from Gethin Robinson (yellow carded for punching) and conceding two penalties missed in the dying stages by Neath.


Mar 2 - Rugby in Newport lacks the winning mentality someone commented after this game. Once again loyal rugby fans had their patience tested to the limit by a disastrous and inept performance by the Black and Ambers. Having played well in the first half to build a 27-10 they crashed to earth in the second half, lacking skill, composure and it appeared fitness as Bridgend finished the game strongly and deservedly took the spoils 34-27. First half tries came from O'Driscoll, Attwell, Robinson and Frewen. Gethin Robinson was red carded in the second half.


Feb 24 - Newport put themselves in a match-winning position against Pontypridd at a vibrant Sardis Road only to succumb in the closing minutes due to errors and a lack of composure. The sin binning of lock Rhodri Jones proved crucial as Ponty advanced in the final moments of the game.

In an open game from the outset Newport had the better of territory but could not find the advantage on the board. Hancock missed an early penalty before home lock Chris Dicomidis squeezed in for a try in the corner after good Ponty build-up. Hancock brought it back to a 5-3 before another Ponty charge upfield saw a converted try for O'Connor. Flanagan and Hancock both added penalties before Newport, displaying great verve in attack, broke through the Ponty defence courtesy of centre Dan Robinson.

Newport started the second half strongly with a Hancock penalty giving them the lead before Rhys Downes finished off some fine forward play. Another exchange of penalties saw Newport lead 24-18.

With three minutes to go Ponty worked an opening for Matthew Nuthall to score a converted try for a one point lead and then at the death number 8 Dan Godfrey finished Newport off,


Feb 16 - Newport's season came to an end today with a disastrous home defeat in the Welsh Cup to Swansea. The Premiership's strugglers converted a late penalty through Clement to claim victory in a game where the Black and Ambers dominated possession but lacked composure.


Feb 10 - Newport's game against Carmarthen Quins has been called off after heavy overnight rain. The next game at Rodney Parade is County's game with Mansfield before the Dragons play Glasgow on Friday and Newport play Swansea next Saturday.


Feb 3 - Newport blast past Bonymaen 95-14 in a desperately one-sided contest on Sunday at Rodney Parade in the Welsh Cup. Their reward is a home tie against Swansea on February 16.


Jan 26 - Newport's Cup fixture with Bonymaen has been re-scheduled to Sunday February 3 at 2.30 due to its postponement owing to snow on Friday.


Jan 18 - Newport's game in Ireland is off because of the snowy conditions at home. Connacht state "The Connacht Eagles game due to take place at Dubarry Park tomorrow has been cancelled. Due to adverse weather conditions in Wales and airport disruptions, the Welsh side Newport RFC are unable to travel to Ireland."


Jan 12 - Newport made it three home draws in a row after a 27-all draw with Cross Keys in the British and Irish Cup. The Black and Ambers started well scoring tries through Frewen and Rosser but surrendered a sixteen points advantage following a Keys comeback to fall behind 24-16. A try by Tyler Morgan made it 24-21 before the two sides traded penalties with Newport pegging the score back to 27 apiece.


Jan 5 - Newport battled to an 18-all draw with Llandovery in fine conditions at Rodney Parade this afternoon. This was the Black and Ambers second consecutive home draw, they have failed to record a win in their last six matches.

All the points were scored in the first half. The Drovers took an early advantage when Claypole squeezed in the corner before centre Dan Robinson burst through for Newport. Roberts and Pugh added tries for Llandovery with Sneddon kicking two penalties for the Port before the only moment of excellent rugby in the match. Dai Pattison bundled forward and off-loaded along the left touchline and a series of inter-passes finally led to Adam Davies touching down for a fine score.

The try was not converted and despite a lot of huffing and puffing in the second half no further points were added.


Dec 27 - Cross Keys deserved their 29-9 win over Newport but were gifted too many opportunities by the lacklustre Black and Ambers at Pandy Park. A converted Steffan Jones try was enough for a slim 7-6 half time lead to the home side, Newport's scores came from Sneddon penalties. In the second half the Keys stretched their lead out further with two tries from Black and Amber errors, including an interception before inflicting a final humiliation on Newport's forwards, a pushover try to secure a bonus point. Not good enough but unfortunately it typifies this season's efforts.


Dec 22 - In perhaps the worst game of rugby played at Rodney Parade in the whole of 2012 (possibly much, much longer) Newport and Cardiff fought out a 6-6 draw on a miserable, wet pre-festive night. That's the only mitigation that can be offered for the quite dreadful play from both sides where the only positive was the superiority of defence over attack.

Newport had a slight edge in the scrum, Cardiff won more ball on the ground. The game cried out for a controlling half back. I sat in front of Newport's coaches as they watched the game and they called continually for the ball to be moved. And it was shipped pointlessly from side to side until it was spilled forward or a penalty conceded. The better tactic was to kick dead for line-outs or kick for the corners and put pressure on your opponent in such difficult conditions. Sometimes I am afraid nine or ten man rugby is required in really wet weather. It was not obvious enough for some.


Dec 17 - Newport were subjected to a total humiliation by Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park. The 93-0 score line is a record defeat and given that it was 57-0 at half time is indicative that the Falcons fell off the pace in the second half!

The result underlines the huge gulf between the respective Welsh and English leagues at this level. It's difficult to see how Newport's players can recover for Cardiff on Friday!

Picture left is off the match on Saturday December 8 when Newport put up a far more spirited display to hold Newcastle to a 26-10 margin and even managed to score more points than their English opponents in the second half.


Dec 17 - Newport were subjected to a total humiliation by Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park. The 93-0 score line is a record defeat and given that it was 57 at half time is indicative that the Falcons fell off the pace in the second half!

The result underlines the huge gulf between the respective Welsh and English leagues at this level. It's difficult to see how Newport's players can recover for Cardiff on Friday!


Nov 30 - Newport slipped to ignominious defeat at Bedwas by 30 points to 9 last night. The Piemen completed the double over Newport stretching away convincingly in the second half with a string of penalties and a late try from former Black and Amber Matthew Pewtner.

Nov 25 - Newport's fixture with Aberavon is postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Nov 17 - Neath away is traditionally a difficult fixture for Newport, whatever the class of the home side. But the Black and Ambers steady improvement of late was further underlined with a 19-9 victory at the Gnoll. Newport's only try came from wing Mike Poole after nine minutes, confirming his return from long term injury. The success was built on fine defence and big performances in the back row. Newport : Try: M. Poole. Con: S. Sneddon. Pens: S. Sneddon (2), G. O'Driscoll (2).


Nov 4 - After a very patchy first half hour at Rodney Parade Newport cut loose against Swansea with Alan Awcock scoring on the right and then Adam Frampton adding a second to make it 20-3 at half time. Swansea swept back in to the game with two early converted tries in the second half to reduce the margin to three points. Newport dominated the rest of the game but still had to work hard to break the Whites defence. James Ledbetter stretched over for a third before Will Richards powered down the left for a bonus point try. Substitute Brendan Lampitt added a fifth late on as Newport continued their fine form of late in front of a healthier crowd at Rodney Parade.


Oct 28 - It was a reminder that club rugby can still beat regional rugby hands down when it comes to spectacle and atmosphere this afternoon. Newport and Pontypridd played a game of high intensity with a helter-skelter finish in front of a boisterous crowd at Rodney Parade. Newport pipped the unbeaten Sardis Road outfit 20-19 with an outstanding display of commitment  but had to hold on at the end as Ponty chucked everything at them, scoring two late tries. The previously dormant Newport crowd ended the match in fine voice as Ponty's large travelling contingent urged their side on.

The first hour of the match went largely in favour of the Black and Ambers. After Pontypridd missed an early, easy penalty Alan Awcock intercepted a pedestrian attack to stride out seventy metres to score a try converted by fly half Scott Sneddon. Ponty had plenty of possession but Newport squeezed the life out of them, frequently capitalising on mistakes or handling errors and winning the kicking duels. The Black and Ambers attacked with greater fluency with their bustling props, Ryan and Jeune, particularly outstanding in the loose. Sneddon added a penalty and then a virtuoso try breaking the Ponty line after Newport had won their opponents line out. Sneddon converted to make it 17-0 at half time.

With Ponty down to 14 men after a yellow card for Hetherington they broke out of defence with Lewis Williams scoring a fine converted try after 65 minutes. Sneddon hit back with a superb penalty to make it 20-7. But Newport were creaking in defence and Pontypridd utilised the strength in depth available on the bench. They scored via Roberts from a catch and drive but missed the conversion, 20-12. Then on full time they broke away for a superb try by Owen Williams, converted by Lockyer for 20-19.

In a pulsating period of injury time the two teams traded blows against a noisy clamour from supporters. Pontypridd missed a drop goal and the Newport crowd bayed at the touch judge as he overlooked the Ponty prop handling the ball back in to the scrum as it careered sideways in front of the Hazell Stand.


Oct 20 - Special revenge for Newport as they beat Cross Keys by 24-20 at Pandy Park in the British and Irish Cup. Keys, last year's finalists, will struggle to make any impression this year. Newport will have great difficulty themselves in dealing with the power and pace of English side Newcastle when they clash in December.

Newport took an early lead when Attwell darted over and with their scrum dominant secured a penalty try. Unfortunately with a 15 point lead in the bag they let it slip to 15-13 by half time conceding a penalty try themselves. Sneddon kicked a penalty to increase the lead before Keys briefly went ahead. He kicked through for Elliot Jones to score a try converted by Dorian Jones. Sneddon converted two penalties to see Newport home.


Oct 13 - Newport recorded their first win in a home fixture beating debutants Connacht Eagles 18-14 in the British and Irish Cup. They produced the match-winning score in the 80th minute as centre Will Richards broke through and the Eagles did well to hold on for a losing bonus point as Newport replacement Alan Awcock's 50-metre burst in injury-time almost led to another home try. The decisive score for the hosts came in the 35th minute when their captain Craig Attwell forced his way over after a concerted spell of forward pressure. The home pack included former Munster prop Tim Ryan. Attendance - 1171


Oct 6 - In an exciting game Newport fell to 42-35 defeat at the hands of Bridgend. The Ravens recorded their first win in five games but it was Newport who drew huge plaudits for a second half display in which they clawed back a 24 point deficit (at half time it was 32-8). The Black and Ambers were reduced to 13 men due to a dual sin-binning and made to pay by Bridgend, they had only a late first half try from Frampton to show for their efforts. They stormed back in the second half and with the home side reduced to 13 launched a big comeback. Frampton scored another and then Elliott Frewen added a brace. But Bridgend struck back with two tries of their own before Andrew Brown scored late on to narrow the deficit to seven and the Port picked up two bonus points despite the loss. Attendance - 853


Sep 29 - Newport performed with great credit against Llandovery but ultimately were comfortably beaten by the Drovers. The Black and Ambers were hit by a late rally by Llandovery, scoring three tries in the last ten minutes. Tries came from Hywel Stoddart and Craig Attwell.


Sep 23 - Newport did a Bedwas with a late interception try from Elliot Frewen at Carmarthen. The try gave the Black and Ambers a 28-25 victory.  His touchdown was Newport's fourth giving them a hard earned bonus point, other tries came from Everitt, Prosser and Frewen himself.


Sep 19 - Reckless and ill disciplined play led to Newport playing much of their match against Bedwas with 14 men. Despite this the Black and Ambers played creditably only to fall at the last against the Piemen in front of a pitiful attendance at Rodney Parade. They lost Adam  Davies (yellow) and Hywel Stoddart (red) in the first half - both for "tip tackles". A late try by Jack Dixon converted by Richard Powell stole the spoils for Bedwas. Earlier in the game Alan Awcock scored a fine try for Newport, who maintained their advantage until the 83rd minute of the match.


Sep 15 - Newport's crisis deepens. Following their thumping at home to Llanelli they suffered a humiliating 62-17 defeat at Cardiff Arms Park. The Cardiff side was supplemented by Cardiff Blues players but the margin of defeat was still truly staggering for a Newport side that appears reasonably strong on paper. Cardiff were without a win prior to this fixture but with Rob Lewis at scrum half they exposed Newport's defensive frailties scoring nine tries. The Black and Ambers scored two through Will Hodnott and Elliot Frewen.

Given the desperate turn of events Newport's directors need to take decisive action to arrest this decline. After last year's dreadful season there are no indications of improvement this year.


Sep 7 - Newport capitulated to Llanelli at Rodney Parade resembling a disorganised and witless shambles for the entirety of a depressing spectacle. The 46-6 defeat was a fair reflection of the play and no blame should be attached to the petty antics of the referee Rhys Thomas. Newport started the match with some of their better and more experienced players on the bench. A mystifying decision and ultimately fatal. The West Walians took a while to get in to their stride but ultimately they were fitter, faster and brighter than the Black and Ambers. It was 17-6 at half time. Llanelli scored two early tries in the second half and that was that. For one spell Newport had 13 men at the end of the first half and then played the last quarter with 14 men following a red card awarded against Dai Pattison for a straight arm. It seemed a very harsh decision but the ref took advice before it and it does not detract from an appalling display by Newport. Llanelli deserved the win...four very difficult words to write.


Sep 1 - Newport started their 2012/13 campaign in much better heart than their last and in a fine display beat Aberavon 23-20 at the Talbot Athletic Ground. The match finished dramatically with Elliot Frewen running in a fine try for Scott Sneddon to convert. With Newport 23-20 ahead and in the ninth minute of injury time Aberavon had an opportunity to draw but missed their penalty.

Newport started the match well with two Sneddon penalties and a converted Frewen try they were 13-0 up before a late Wizards surge including two tries brought them back to 13-12 at half time. With Alan Awcock sin-binned for the start of the second half Newport went behind for the first time before a Sneddon penalty recovered the advantage. An Aberavon try from Dave Pritchard took them in to a clear lead well before the dramatic conclusion to the match.

Aug 25 - Newport lost 32-18 to the Cornish Pirates at the Mennaye Field.

Aug 13 - Newport beat Coventry 32-19 on Saturday at Rodney Parade.


Aug 8 - On a wet night with the mist drifting down over the mountain it was more akin to January than August at Blaenavon but Newport eventually got the better of their opponents. The Blaenavon XV also included players from other teams, including Pontypool. Playing with the slope they gave a good account of themselves against a scratch Newport outfit. After a scoreless first half Newport broke through quickly. Will Richards scored two tries including an interception. The forwards rolled a maul that was collapsed by the home side with a penalty try awarded and Adam Frampton also scored. All four were converted for a 28-0 win. Blaenavon are still to score a point against Newport. The match raised Ł600 for the Ken Jones Memorial Fund.


Aug 3 - With less than a month to the start of the season there are still no published fixtures for the 12 team ring fenced and inevitably deadbeat Welsh Premiership. The delay is partly attributable to the recent Court case involving Pontypool. The Newport RFC website states "A draft fixture list has been sent to the Premier clubs so that any potential problems can be rectified.  Fixtures will be published as soon as the WRU authorises release."


July 25 - It may have lost its youth team but a new venture may boost its ability to recruit young rugby talent in the city and in Monmouthshire. Newport RFC has entered into a strategic partnership with the WRU and Dragons Junior Academy based at Newport High School which has resulted in the addition of specialist support for players over the next two years.

Newport RFC and Newport High School, through the WRU, have agreed a partnership that will enhance provision for players aged 16 - 18 who are enrolling on the new Junior Academy service at Newport High School. The partnership will create two part-time positions – a skills coach and conditioning coach - who will work with both players at the Junior Academy and players at Newport RFC.  

The conditioning coach’s position will be filled by Gareth Smith with Newport player, Rhys Jenkins, the new skills coach. Funding for these two posts will be part provided by Friends of Newport Rugby (FoNR). Secretary of FoNR, Kevin Jarvis, said: “FoNR is pleased to contribute to this venture and we look forward to seeing young players developing and coming through the academy to play for Newport and possibly play professional rugby”.


Jul 14 - In an unfortunate twist of fate Newport will face rivals Cross Keys in the revamped British and Irish Cup next season along with Connacht 'A' and Newcastle.


Jul 7 - Newport RFC has made another five signings for the 2012/13 season as the Black and Ambers continue their recruitment process.

Joining Newport RFC are prop John Lavender who has been playing for Bargoed RFC, second row forward Rhodri Jones who can also cover the back row and open side flanker Craig Attwell who had a spell with the Dragons Academy playing hooker but has now reverted to his original position in the back row and enjoyed a very successful season last year.

Ross Coombs who captained Newbridge for the last three seasons will join Newport. He is a proven hard working back row player who consistently delivers as a player and James Jones will also link up with the squad, James has enjoyed a spell playing in France and is an experienced prop who covers both sides of the scrum.


Jul 2 - Newport RFC has announced the signing of six more players for the new season, three with experience at a professional level. Joining from the Newport Gwent Dragons are prop Gethin Robinson, flanker Rhys Jenkins and scrum half James Leadbeater – all three have played for Newport before having been Newport’s contracted regional players last season. Also signing contracts with the Black and Ambers are hooker Ryan Prosser, outside half Tom Hancock and centre Adam Davies. Back for the new season from last year's squad are Dai Pattison, Andrew Brown, promising hooker Dale Rogers and locks Dafydd Rosser and Adam Frampton. Other forwards who remain from last season are versatile back row  Sam Waldron, Carl Townsend and number 8 Hywel Stoddart. The backs who have re-signed are last season's top try scorer and wing / full back Elliot Frewen, wing Owen Broad and utility player Alan Awcock.


June 16 - Newport have considerably strengthened their squad ahead of the new season by recruiting six new players. Making a return to Newport is scrum half and crowd favourite Andrew Quick from Pontypool. He will be joined in Black and Amber colours by Cardiff's Craig Everett a versatile ball-carrying back row forward, Pontypool outside centre Dan Robinson who is a proven try scorer and will give the side creativity, Cardiff Rags outside half Scott Sneddon who is renowned for his very good kicking game and will give the side field position, attacking fullback Geraint O’Driscoll from Pontypool who has experience of regional rugby and is an excellent goal kicker with a good all-round game and exciting scrum half Rhys Downes who joins from the Blues Academy and has a big future ahead of him. Newport has also confirmed the release of four players, Scott Williams, Gareth Bowen, Craig Hill and Alex Jones with more signings to come.

Pre-season friendlies arranged thus far -

August 7th : Blaenavon (A) - part of the Ken Jones Statue Appeal

August 11th : Coventry (H) at Rodney Parade

August 25th : Cornish Pirates (A) - KO 5PM at Penzance


June 1 - Football will be played at Rodney Parade on a regular basis for the first time since the war following the historic ground-share deal between Newport RFC and Newport County.

Rodney Parade Limited Chief Executive Chris Brown said “We are obviously delighted that we have been able to reach agreement and that football is coming to Rodney Parade.

“One of the keys to our Business Plan is ensuring that we generate the maximum revenue from non-rugby match days and bringing in the football goes a long way to helping us achieve that.

Whilst Newport County play many more matches than either the Dragons or Newport, they play a significant number of midweek fixtures and with the football season starting a month before the rugby, fixture congestion will be kept to a minimum.

“This has been a complex negotiation and it has been of paramount importance to us that the needs of The Dragons and Newport RFC are met. We are confident that this agreement will protect the interests of all of our supporters, both in ensuring that their sporting calendar undergoes the minimum possible alteration and obtaining an additional revenue stream which can help guarantee the future of regional and premiership rugby at Rodney Parade.”

May 20 - Newport have made three impressive early season signings. 22 year old Rhys Jones has joined from Cornish Pirates and will form a strong half back partnership with 17 year old Welsh Academy scrum half Jonathon Evans. Centre Gareth Chapman also rejoins Newport from Cardiff. Unfortunately, Gareth Wyatt has decided to return to hometown club Pontypridd.

     FIXTURES 2012 - 2013      LEAGUE TABLE

Tue, 07 Aug Blaenavon F 28 0
Sat, 11 Aug Coventry F 32 19
Sat, 25 Aug Cornish Pirates F 18 32
Sat, 01 Sep Aberavon PP 23 20
Fri, 07 Sep Llanelli 7.30pm PP 6 46
Sat, 15 Sep Cardiff PP 17 62
Wed, 19 Sep Bedwas PP 25 26
Sat, 22 Sep Carmarthen Quins PP 28 25
Sat, 29 Sep Llandovery PP 19 38
Sat, 06 Oct Bridgend PP 35 42
Sat, 13 Oct Connacht A BIC 18 14
Sat, 20 Oct Cross Keys BIC 24 20
Sun, 28 Oct Pontypridd PP 20 19
Sat, 03 Nov Swansea PP 39 17
Sat, 17 Nov Neath PP 19 9
Sun, 25 Nov Aberavon (2.30) PP P  
Fri, 30 Nov Bedwas (7.30) PP 9 30
Sat, 08 Dec Newcastle Falcons BIC 10 26
Sun, 16 Dec Newcastle Falcons BIC 0 93
Fr  21 Dec Cardiff PP 6 6
 27 Dec Cross Keys (7.15) PP 9 24
Sat 05 Jan Llandovery PP 18 18
Sat, 12 Jan Cross Keys BIC 27 27
Sat, 19 Jan Connacht A BIC P  
Fri 25 Jan BONYMAEN Cup P  
Sun Feb 3 BONYMAEN Cup 95 14
Sun, 10 Feb Carmarthen Quins PP P  
Sat 16 Feb SWANSEA Cup 14 17
Fri, 22 Feb Pontypridd PP 24 32
Sat, 02 Mar Bridgend PP 27 34
Sat, 09 Mar Neath PP 13 12
Thurs 13 Mar Aberavon PP 11 12
Fri 29 Mar Cross Keys PP 18 13
Sat, 6 Apr Carmarthen Quins PP 74 33
Sat, 13 Apr Swansea PP 9 24
Sun 21 Apr Llanelli PP 17 41
Sat, 27 Apr Connacht BIC 27 25

KEY - Home fixtures in Amber. PP=Welsh Premiership F = Friendly C= Cup BIC - British and Irish Cup


"It was blindingly obvious years ago that the Dragons would have the devil’s own job winning over an unwilling county to support them but they have positioned themselves badly in their market. The regime of Tony Brown, in days when Newport were Newport, had its critics but compared with the present operation, they were light years ahead. They had a chief executive in Keith Grainger and a director of marketing in Phil Davies who were ambitious and driven, and so full of ideas that by the end of the season, you were almost prepared to consider emigration in order to escape them... One of the other key elements, as I have said many times, is for the club to be returned to its city, for all silly county tags to be removed and for Newport to become Newport again. It is the only way to maximise crowds and income." Stephen Jones 'Sunday Times' 14/05/06

Heineken Cup, Pool 4
Newport 28-17 Bath (13/10/00) BBC report

Newport announced their arrival in Europe by recording a brilliant victory over 1998 Heineken Cup winners Bath at Rodney Parade.

The Black and Ambers, roared on by a capacity 11,000 crowd, blitzed Bath through three first half tries.

And the 22-10 interval advantage proved too much of a hurdle for Bath to overcome, despite replacement fly-half Shaun Berne's try 12 minutes from time and persistent late pressure. Newport prospered because they took their chances, leaving Bath to dig deep ahead of next Saturday's tough pool four trip to Munster. The home side survived a nervous closing 10 minutes after being reduced to 14 men when their South African skipper Gary Teichmann was sinbinned for killing possession.

"It is now my strong view, given the above circumstances, that such viability and success can best be achieved if the infrastructure of Gwent Dragons is subsumed into the existing operations of Newport RFC." Marcus Russell, August 20 2003. 



Jan 1897 - Rugby's first superstar and Black and Amber hero Arthur Gould, leading Wales for the last time, steers them to a victory over England at Newport. Wales won by 1 Goal and 2 Tries (11) to Nil. He retired with 27 Welsh caps and having led his country 18 times - national records at the time. This giant of Newport and Welsh sport ought to be properly commemorated in his home city.