Newport’s premier sporting team now sadly consigned to semi-professional status. Founded in 1875 they are conquerors of all the major touring teams. Many great players have graced the hallowed turf of Rodney Parade. Following the reorganisation of the game Newport now play in the Welsh Premiership with teams like Llandovery and Bedwas.






July 5 - Newport's reward for their top 4 placing in the Welsh Premiership is a very tough draw in the British and Irish Cup. Their group is as follows - Pool A: Cornish Pirates, Currie, Leinster, Newport, Plymouth Albion, Worcester Warriors. their opening match is at home against Leinster on October 16.


June 17 - Newport will face Launceston in Cornwall in a pre-season match on Saturday August 21.


June 6 - Newport RFC's effective role as the Gwent Dragons second XV seems to have been confirmed by the departure of long serving back row Richard Dale from the club. Dale's father states that his son received and signed a contract for the season six weeks ago. On the TalkNewport messageboard his father states "Unlike a number of the other players he doesn’t have an agent. Doesn’t want or feel he needs one. He’s had offers from other clubs in Wales and England; always does. But never seriously considers them. He’s been with Newport since he was 16 and didn’t have any intention of going anywhere else." However, despite the signing of the contract he was soon surplus to requirements "One afternoon last week, during a coaching session with a group of youngsters, he had a phone call telling him that the Dragons had allocated players to Newport and therefore Newport would not honour his contract. He was out."

Coach Sven Cronk has denied any involvement in the decision. The decision underlines the stark reality of the set up at Newport. The close relationship between the various arms of Rodney Parade Limited effectively means that the Dragons management can dictate key parts of the Newport side. Premiership rugby is a training ground for regional rugby which is a dress rehearsal for the supposed be-all and end-all, international rugby. Results, club affiliations and identities are irrelevant. The real question is.. why does anyone support this set up at all, inevitably it will lead to the slow lingering death of Newport RFC.

A recent Dragons' announcement "Dragons spread their wings" is featured on the Newport RFC website and makes things very clear. It states "The likes of Newport’s Andrew Coombs, Cross Keys’ Lloyd Burns, Jevon Groves, Nathan Buck and Steffan Jones and Bedwas’ Phil Price and Tom Cooper will all train with the Dragons in the week before turning out for their clubs if not required for Magners League or Heineken Cup action.........The older members of the Academy – the likes of Wales Under-20s skipper Dan Watchurst - will be based with Newport while Pooler will get the younger talent and be first port of call if senior Dragons need game time."


May 27 - Newport captain Andrew Coombs was named Premiership player of the year at last night's awards dinner in Cardiff.


May 20 - Newport have made three impressive early season signings. 22 year old Rhys Jones has joined from Cornish Pirates and will form a strong half back partnership with 17 year old Welsh Academy scrum half Jonathon Evans. Centre Gareth Chapman also rejoins Newport from Cardiff. Unfortunately, Gareth Wyatt has decided to return to hometown club Pontypridd.


May 20 - Mark Workman has announced his intention to retire and has paid tribute to Newport rugby club and its supporters at the end of a great career in the game "I’d like to thank you all for your very kind messages and for your support over the years. I am very proud of my association with Newport RFC and sad that I won’t be pulling the Black and Amber Jersey on again.
During my time at Rodney Parade I have played with some fantastic players. Early days there was Muddy, Moseley, Goodey, Gareth Rees then came Goughie, Voyley, Snowy followed by Howarth and Teichmann and latterly Dai Pats, Pooley and Hilly to name but a few.
I’ve worked under some great coaches, Roger Powell who signed me from Machen, The one and only Junna who had a massive influence on me, Steve Fenwick, Pierre Villepreux (or Villeprix as Junna called him), Alun Lewis, then Dai Rees, Hembrow and Sven all with different qualities and ideas.
I played in the first ever professional Newport team V Aberavon in 96 I think, but feel I have had the best of both worlds experiencing the old traditional rugby environment and today’s professional era. (I think, preferring the former)
Tours to South Africa and Canada are among the many memories and experiences that will stay with me forever as will my many friends I have made along the way and for this I owe a massive thank you to Newport RFC and everyone involved in this great club. I shall look forward to seeing you on the terraces and in the club next season."


May 17 - Newport lost their play off semi final in Swansea by 31-17 after a brave effort this evening.  They were unable to compensate for the loss of a fly half as Chris Wannell was ruled out earlier today. Centre Hanno Dirksen and Welsh international Tom Prydie both got a brace of tries for the dominant Whites. Newport scored three from Dan McShane, Alan Awcock and a penalty try. Gareth Wyatt converted one. Swansea face Neath in the final.


May 16 - According to reports the Rwandan national team - the Silverbacks - has been invited to the annual sevens tournament scheduled for later in the summer.

The Vice President of the National Rugby federation and also Silverbacks caretaker coach Gerald Nsenga told allafricacom that it was an honour for Newport to invite the Silverbacks. "It is not the only invitation we have received this year which is a good sign," he said. "Last year, Newport finished second in the league, so it is an honour for us to be invited to take part in the Newport 7s."


May 11 - Newport beat Llanelli 48-35 in an end of season romp at Rodney Parade to mark the second round of the play offs. The Black and Ambers came back in blistering fashion from a first half deficit of 35-19 scoring 29 unanswered points on their way to yet another fixture away at Swansea. Newport completed an unbeaten league season at Rodney Parade, they were also unbeaten in the British and Irish Cup here. Their only defeat, a 19-17 reverse to Cardiff in March. Tries for Newport came from Dale, McShane, Poole, Awcock, Leach, Evans and Williams.  Conversions came from Robling 2 and Wannell 3. Wannell also scored a penalty. 


May 4 - Llanelli have beaten Cardiff and will now play Newport at Rodney Parade on Tuesday May 11th 2010 KO : 7:15PM in Round 2 of the Play-Offs. This is an all pay match as laid down by the dreaded WRU!

Newport's presentation evening took place on Saturday with awards as follows -

Supporters' Player of the Season: Mike Poole / Supporters' Clubman of Year : Andrew Brown / Players' Player : Mike Poole / Coaches'  Player : Dai Pattison


Apr 27 - Newport's play off meeting with Swansea at St. Helen's ended in a 60-19 hammering with the Whites scoring nine tries including three from Tom Prydie. Newport scored three tries all from Alan Awcock (one in the first half, two in the second).


Apr 27 - Having acknowledged that traditional rugby grounds have made a comeback this year as against half-filled football stadia, Newport RFC has made the odd decision to scrap terracing on the Corporation Road side of the ground. In proposals detailed at last night's AGM the club is proposing to re-site the existing terracing to the clubhouse end of the ground and to redevelop the existing Argus Terrace into a seated stand with 16 to 18 hospitality boxes and a bar area. The new clubhouse end terrace of the ground will be a covered stand and it is hoped to have this in place for the start of the 2010/11 season. The Hazell Terrace and Stand will be also be refurbished but to a much more minor extent. The new Corporation Road stand will be ready in time for Christmas 2010 fixtures.


April 26 - Newport head to Swansea tomorrow evening for the first round of the Welsh Premiership play offs. The Black and Ambers will find progress difficult and if they fail will get a second chance by playing Llanelli or Cardiff at home on May 4.The Newport RFC End of Season presentation evening will be held in the Clubhouse on Saturday, 1st May 2010.


April 21 - Newport hammered Carmarthen Quins this evening 47-14 to finish third in the Principality Premiership. Newport were totally dominant throughout against a Quins outfit more influenced by on the Swalec Cup Final rather than the league. The Black and Ambers scored six tries (a penalty try, Scott Williams, Mike Poole 2, Adam Hughes and Chris Wannell), three penalties (Lewis Robling) and four conversions (two for Robling, 2 for Wannell). Newport now play at Swansea in the first round play off in a week's time.


April 19 - Newport are set for the play-offs and seem likely to finish third in the Principality Premiership irrespective of the result of tomorrow evening's encounter in Carmarthen. Third place will mean an away trip to Swansea in round 1 of the playoffs, a defeat at St.Helen's will mean a home encounter in Round 2 against the winner of the 6th and 7th placed play off. Victory there will mean a semi final fixture against, in all probability, Swansea.


April 14 - Newport went from the sublime (Neath) to the ridiculous (Pontypool) tonight as they lost 20-15 to the struggling Eastern Valley side at Pontypool Park. A late try for Pontypool from Macey converted by O'Driscoll sealed the win. Newport had recovered from a 10-3 deficit at half time to take a 15-10 lead through tries from Walker and Pattison but despite the surfeit of possession did not take their chances. The only consolation is that Ebbw Vale are relegated.


April 10 - In an exciting advert for Premiership rugby Newport held off title challengers Neath at Rodney Parade this evening. The Welsh All Blacks, 27-24 down with moments to play, were awarded a late penalty that would have tied the score. Outside half Arwel Thomas initially elected not to kick it and when he called for his kicking tee was told by the referee that he could not kick the goal as he had elected to kick for a line out. From the line out Newport won the ball and scrum half Alex Walker cleared the ball into touch for the win.

Neath started the match strongly with a try from full back Gareth King after three minutes but Newport clawed their way back in to the match in part due to constant indiscipline from their opponents including a number of high tackles. Neath had two men carded in the first forty. As a result, eighteen year old outside half Lewis Robling had a number of penalty opportunities. He scored three in the half. In between Mike Poole intercepted a pass from Neath scrum half Farrell to run the length of the field to score. Gareth Gravell bullocked through the Newport defence to give Neath a try, converted by Thomas. Half time Newport 14 Neath 12.

The second half saw Newport cut loose to dominate their opponents and stretch their lead. A fine move involving Pat Leach and Adam Hughes created space out wide for a Richard Dale score. Robling added a conversion and penalty to put Newport 24-12 in front. A chip through was collected by centre Stephen Thomas to score although television replays suggest that there was a forward pass in the move and that Thomas failed to ground the ball. Shortly afterwards a Thomas crosskick penalty evaded a sprawling Hughes for Jenkins to score on the left wing.

Newport continued to play fluent rugby and were rewarded with a Robling penalty with three minutes to go. Neath could have tied it up at the end but in truth the Black and Ambers deserved their victory and can reflect upon an unbeaten home record in the league this season.


Apr 6 - A tired Newport performance was still enough to beat Glamorgan Wanderers 23-17 at Rodney Parade tonight. The Black and Ambers eased in to a comfortable first half lead with tries from Adam Brown and Andrew Brown (2). Budina scored Wanderers only points to limit the deficit to 15-5. Newport struggled to maintain their lead in the second half but held out thanks to a try from Alan Awcock and penalty from Lewis Robling. Wanderers scored two tries from Nathan Trevett and scrum half Tom Rowlands. Newport with a much changed team still grabbed five points to maintain third place but will need to up their game for the visit of Neath on Saturday.


Apr 3 - A late try from Llanelli's Steve Martin denied Newport the spoils at the Parc y Scarlets.  Newport held a 27-23 blead ut the converted injury time try gave Llanelli a 30-27 victory. After an early penalty for the home side Richard Payne scored for Newport converted by Gareth Wyatt. A succession of Llanelli scores, two Shingler penalties and a converted try for Keenan, gave the home side a 16-7 lead despite Newport enjoying parity in terms of possession. Gareth Wyatt brought the Black and Ambers within two with a converted try just prior to half time. A Wyatt penalty put Newport in front early in the second half before Llanelli regained the lead with a Reynolds try converted by Shingler. Newport narrowed the advantage to 23-20 with a further penalty from Wyatt before taking a decisive lead with a converted Andrew Brown try three minutes before the end of time. However, they were thwarted for the second time in four days with Martin's try coming in the seventh minute of added time!


Mar 31 - A fourteen man Cardiff side beat Newport narrowly 19-17 at the Arms Park this evening. A late penalty by Gareth Davies gave the Blue and Blacks victory in a scrappy and ill tempered game.  Cardiff were reduced to fourteen men just before half time when inside centre Darren Ryan was dismissed for stamping. Cardiff held a 10-5 advantage at that point, an early converted try by scrum half Slater was followed by an Alan Awcock try for Newport. Davies added a penalty for Cardiff. In the second half Cardiff extended their lead to 16-5 with two further Davies penalties. A spurt of scoring from Newport with tries from Awcock and Poole and a conversion from Gareth Wyatt (Wannell was taken off injured) put the Black and Ambers in front in injury time. But a very late score for Cardiff snatched the result away.


Mar 24 - Newport competed the double over Ebbw vale with a 16-13 victory at rainy Eugene Cross Park this evening. A Lewis Robling penalty sealed victory for the Black and Ambers in a close fought match with their relegation threatened rivals. Newport took the lead on 22 minutes after a successful Wannell penalty. Ebbw struck back with a converted Powell try before Mike Poole put Newport in front with a try just before half time. Ebbw were quickly in to their stride with a James penalty to regain the lead 10-8. Alan Awcock scored on 54 minutes to give Newport the lead before Ebbw's James levelled again on the hour. Lewis Robling's successful penalty with just under ten minutes to go put Newport in front by three and they held on for a win which may yet consign Ebbw Vale to the drop.


Mar 19 - Newport's match with Pontypool at Pontypool Park was postponed this evening after heavy rain this afternoon left the pitch waterlogged. Match re-arranged for 14 April, kick off 7.15 pm.


Mar 13 - Injury hit Newport scored an excellent win at Llandovery by 37-27. The Black and Ambers held a narrow advantage (18-17) at half time but pulled away for a comfortable win at Church Bank. Newport scored five tries (Coombs, Owen, Poole, Hughes and Wyatt) to earn a winning bonus point. Three of the tries were converted by Griffiths (1) and Wannell (2). The two number ten's also scored a penalty apiece.


Mar 7 - Newport's failed in their last remaining opportunity for silverware with a 26-20 defeat against the Cornish Pirates in the British and Irish Cup. The previously unbeaten Black and Ambers were starved of possession for much of the match but fought bravely, defended superbly and scored three tries including a late Andrew Coombes effort to secure a losing bonus point. After an early exchange of penalties put the Pirates 6-3 up the home side added an unconverted try from Rob Cook. Newport hit back strongly with a score from Mike Poole to make it 11-8. The Cornish side scored a try from Nick Jackson and a penalty from Cook to widen the margin to 21-8. With Newport down to 14 men it was Mike Poole who snatched a try to make it 21-13. Blair Cowan stretched the Pirates lead to an unassailable margin before the Newport skipper scored with the final move of the match, try converted by Dan Griffiths. A fine end to an excellent campaign but unfortunately not enough to progress to the semi-finals. The attendance in Cambourne was 3650.

Prior to the match there was a celebration of the day of Cornish patron saint, St Pirian including a 'Giant Pasty Parade' led by the Falmouth Marine Band.

Comment from the Pirates forum "Newport were a very good team, and defended superbly to keep us out time and time again. When they attacked their backs looked skillful and dangerous. Their No.7 had a blinder - lived on and over the offside line for the whole game and got away with it. We did well to beat them and scored some stunning tries in the process."


Mar 3 - Newport hammered Premiership leaders Swansea at Rodney Parade by 43 points to 9 this evening. The Black and Ambers were in excellent form despite the obvious distraction of their B&I Cup game against the Cornish Pirates next weekend. Winger Mike Poole scored a fine hat trick, tries were also added by Scott Williams, Chris Wannell and Sam Waldron. Wannell added a penalty. Five of the tries were converted as follows - Wannell 2, Awcock, Griffiths 2. Captain Andrew Coombes was once again in outstanding form as he led Newport to their second big win in five days.


Feb 27 - Newport recovered smartly from last week's disappointment against Cardiff to record a stunning win at Donnybrook against Leinster 'A'. The Black and Ambers were victorious by 10 points to 6 and maintain their unbeaten record in the British and Irish Cup.

Newport held a 3-0 advantage at half time from a Chris Wannell penalty. The home side failed to capitalise on the sin-binning of Mike Poole for successive infringements. They did, however, score a penalty through McFadden on 42 minutes.  Leinster's Devin Toner was sin-binned after 47 minutes, Newport by contrast took full advantage with left Matthew Pewtner finishing a fine move, Wannell converted to make it 10-3 after 52 minutes. McFadden scored a further penalty but Newport held on for a fine victory. The Irish region travel to Scotland to play pointless Gael Force on March 10 whereas Newport play the Cornish Pirates away on March 7.

Pool A Table
  Team P W D L F A PTS
1 Newport 4 3 1 0 61 28 15
2 Leinster 4 3 0 1 56 43 13
3 Cornish Pirates 3 2 0 1 52 29 10
4 Plymouth Albion 4 1 1 2 50 32 8
5 Exeter 3 1 0 2 39 43 5
6 Gael Force 4 0 0 4 13 96 0


Feb 20 - It was a typical Newport-Cardiff match. 60 minutes of total Newport dominance and 20 minutes of Cardiff pressure producing a last gasp win for the Blue and Blacks in this Swalec Cup tie at Rodney Parade. Newport were the better side for most of the first half building a 10-0 lead including a well worked try for Adam Hughes. They scored at the start of the second half as Wannell gathered a chip forward to pass out wide and a couple of finger tip passes found Hughes on the wing to score again. Newport were temporarily halted when reduced to 14 men following the sin binning of Andrew Brown. Cardiff kicked a penalty but Newport once again seized the advantage with a brilliantly finished try from Mike Poole. In the last quarter it was Cardiff who found a second wind with their loose forwards resurgent and their half backs dominant in fact both Tom Slater and Gareth Davies scored fine tries as gaps opened in the tired Newport defence. In the fourth minute of injury time a beautifully timed pass from Davies found Ryan Howells who beat Gareth Wyatt on the outside to score. With no further time left Cardiff once again snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against their old rivals.


Weds 3rd March : Swansea (HOME) / Weds 23rd March : Ebbw Vale (AWAY) / Weds 31st March : Cardiff (AWAY) / Tues 6th April : Glamorgan Wdrs (HOME) /Tues 20th April : Camarthen Quins (AWAY)


Feb 13- Newport maintained their unbeaten record in the British and Irish Cup with a highly impressive 27-5 win over Gael Force, a Scottish side made up of international, professional and up and coming players. Pity about the name, but we are used to silly names at Newport too! For the most part Newport controlled this match, in particular putting in an excellent first half performance and capturing the bonus point try early in the second half. The tries came from Gareth Wyatt, Richard Dale (2) and Ryan Owen. Dan Griffiths converted two and added a penalty. Gael Force finished strongly but gained their only try from McKenzie after 51 minutes. Newport now face two away fixtures in Leinster and Cornwall that will decide their fate in this competition. However, they can look back on a home campaign that has seen them beat a Scottish regional side and the runaway English Championship leaders. The only disappointment a draw against Plymouth in monsoon conditions in late November. But whatever happens in the remaining fixtures this has been an outstanding effort.


Feb 6 - Cross Keys tried to rabble rouse throughout this game, engaging in the kind of skull -duggery and over vigorous play that is symptomatic of the village mentality. Their coaches stood in a show of intimidation on the touchline way out of the technical area and their officials shouted unsportingly from the stands. But they did not intimidate anyone and went away lucky not to escape with more than two yellow cards and a deficit of 45-19. Newport were their superiors in every department of the game and played the only rugby on view. The misfortune for Newport is that they have to play teams like the Keys who were not really interested in playing rugby until a final flurry at the end of the match, when bizarrely Newport were yellow carded on three occasions.

The Black and Ambers made an emphatic start with a fine try for second row Alex Jones. This was converted by Chris Wannell who added a penalty. Keys capitalised on a defensive error by Craig Hill with Peebles stretching out to score a try converted by David to reduce the deficit to 10-7. Wannell added a further three penalties to stretch the advantage to 19-7. Adam Hughes picked up a try out wide, converted by Wannell to make it 26-7. Just prior to half time Coombes, Waldron and Mike Poole interpassed brilliantly along the touchline before Gethin Robinson bulldozed his way over from five metres. Newport were good value for their 33-7 lead and stretched by a further seven points with a fine break by Gareth Wyatt and a blistering finish from Craig Hill from thirty metres out. Richard Payne finished off another fine run from Wannell to make it 45-7. A number of changes made it difficult for the Port to maintain their momentum and Keys grabbed two late tries against depleted opposition to narrow the losing margin.


Jan 30 - Newport's televised match with Cardiff this evening was called off an hour before the kick off this evening due to a frozen pitch. This is Newport's fifth weekend without a fixture in the last seven and the weather is expected to remain cold this week.


Jan 23 - Newport turned around a one point half time deficit against Bedwas to emerge 24-6 victors at the Bridge Field this afternoon. Bedwas held the initial advantage as two penalties from fly half Gethin Worgan cancelled out a 24th minute try from Newport centre Adam Hughes. But Newport scored three further tries in the second half through prop Dai Pattison, hooker Duane Goodfield and on full time from Chris Wannell. Wannell converted Goodfield's try and his own. The Black and Ambers earned a bonus point for their four try victory.


Jan 20 - Newport will face Cardiff in round three of the Swalec Cup. Both sides beat Division One East opponents last weekend and they will face one another at Rodney Parade on Saturday, February 20.


Jan 17 - The Black and Ambers comfortably disposed of Merthyr by 31 points to 6 in their first competitive match since December. Newport were never in any danger and scored tries through Waldron, Brown and Coombs.


Jan 15 - Newport's Welsh Cup fixture at Merthyr will now be played on Sunday with a kick off of 2.30pm owing to the amount of surface water on the pitch. If played it will be Newport's first match since December 12.


Jan 7 - Heavy snow and ice has claimed Newport's latest match away to Carmarthen Quins.


Jan 2 - Newport's home game against Glamorgan Wanderers has been called off due to a frozen pitch after a heavy overnight frost. The Black and Ambers have not played since December 12.


Dec 24 - Newport's Boxing Day at Ebbw Vale has been called off. Blaenau Gwent Council has declared that all its pitches will not be playable over the Christmas Weekend. The Eugene Cross Park pitch is frozen and covered with snow. The Ebbw website states "There were already four inches of snow lying on a pitch that has been frozen for a week, and more heavy snow fell for several hours in Blaenau Gwent on Wednesday afternoon. With no prospect of a thaw in sight, the match was called off and will be rescheduled for later in the season."


Dec 19 - As per Newport Rugby's website "PITCH INSPECTION MADE AT 9AM SAT DEC 19th BY MATCH REFEREE DAVID BODILLY - pitch declared unfit - part frozen especially under Hazell Stand which was part covered."


Dec 15 - Newport travel to Merthyr in the second round of the Swalec Cup to be played on January 16.


Dec 12 - Newport beat Aberavon in an entertaining but bruising encounter at Rodney Parade today. The Black and Ambers were considerably better than the Wizards but gifted their opponents two first half tries and the final score line of 28-21 flattered them. The opening score for Aberavon came from a charged down kick. Newport stormed back with a Griffiths penalty followed by an excellent brace of tries from Ryan Owen, the second a finely balanced piece of footwork along the touchline following an excellent dummy and pass from Newport man of the match Andrew Quick. Unfortunately, Newport allowed Aberavon through again as centre Tossell evaded the weak defence to score.

Newport capitalised on their numerical advantage early in the second half - a run from sub Alan Awcock breached the Wizards defence with Quick piling over to grab the touchdown. Newport maintained a ten point advantage for much of the second half despite increasingly bad tempered exchanges between the forwards. Richard Dale and Paul Williams were among four players yellow carded. Aberavon grabbed a late penalty to salvage a bonus point.

The match was marked by some very unprofessional conduct from the Wizards' coaches and some of their players. The constant and open criticism of officials continued throughout the match. Unfortunately, referee Huw Watkins allowed himself and his assistants to be subjected to this without taking action against them.


Dec 5 - The Black and Ambers were once again on the receiving end of a defeat against Neath at the Gnoll today. Newport went down 21-13 having spent much of the game with fourteen men having lost hooker Andrew Brown after ten minutes. He was red-carded for punching. Despite the deficiency in numbers Newport held a 13-3 lead at half time with a try from Jones, converted by Dan Griffiths, who also added two penalties. Neath put on significant pressure in the second half with Thomas at the helm and despite valiant Newport defence forced their way in to a 16-13 lead. A late and desperate Newport counter attack led to a final Neath try and the loss of a bonus point. Evans scored two tries for Neath, Thomas converted one and added three penalties. Newport drop back from second to fourth in the table following this result.


Nov 27 - Newport had to settle for a draw against English Championship side Plymouth Albion at a rain-soaked Rodney Parade tonight in the British and Irish Cup. The terrible conditions led to few try scoring chances. Although Newport started strongly Plymouth had the better of the game particularly in the second half but demonstrated little creativity. Newport struggled to win good lineout possession but had the edge in the scrum and tight. Albion kicked more effectively than Newport turning the Black and Ambers around on numerous occasions but they were unable to take advantage of the territory gained. The only points were scored in the first 16 minutes with fly-half Chris Wannell kicking a penalty for Newport and Kieran Hallett adding one for Albion.


Nov 20 - In an outstanding start to their campaign in the British and Irish Cup Newport pulled off a superb 21-14 win over Exeter Chiefs. The English side are top of the Championship and prior to tonight had won all eleven of their competitive fixtures this season. Newport played some excellent and forceful rugby and thoroughly deserved the victory against opponents comprising a mix of professional and academy players. The home side saw four players sent to the sin bin (Rosser, Pattison, Awcock and Waldron) while the Chiefs' former Newport lock Sean Tomes also had a spell in the cooler. Chris Wannell opened the scoring with a penalty before Gareth Wyatt scored the first of two first half tries, duly converted by Wannell. The fly half added a further penalty before Wyatt scored his second from a brilliant chip and chase to give Newport a virtually unassailable 18 point lead at the interval. After the break Stubble scored a try for Exeter converted by Gray this was offset by another penalty from Wannell. Exeter hit back strongly with a try by Sestaret in injury time also converted by Gray to reduce the final losing margin to 21-14. Newport defended brilliantly to hold on for a superb victory.


Nov 14 - Newport maintained their unbeaten home record with a 23-17 over Llanelli this afternoon. The Black and Ambers overturned a one point half time deficit to record another solid victory. Three tries for Newport came via a double from prop Dai Pattison and one from Adam Frampton. One of the tries was converted by Dan Griffiths, he added a penalty as did Chris Wannell. The win puts Newport second in the Premiership table, a point adrift of Pontypridd. More details to follow.


Nov 14 - Pontypool forward Neil Giles has been banned for seven matches following his role in the violence that marred their clash with Newport. He was red-carded by referee Leighton Hodges. Three of his team mates were also yellow carded in a match the Eastern Valley side lost by 53-14. However, Giles has not been disciplined for returning to the field and joining in further clashes later in the match.


Nov 7 - Newport failed to fire but had sufficient quality to outgun their oldest rivals at Rodney Parade this afternoon by 23 points to 17. The Black and Ambers were totally dominant at the start of the game as Cardiff smarting from last week's home defeat to Pontypridd came out with all guns blazing. In fact their indiscipline was reminiscent of Pooler initially. They lost a back row forwarded for punching and former Newport hooker Gary Horrigan for kicking Nathan Williams on the floor, the latter could have been a red. Newport took advantage of the 15-13 mismatch by scoring a neat Mike Poole try after an inside pass from Gareth Wyatt. Wannell added a conversion and three penalties to give Newport a 16-6 half time lead. Cardiff dominated the second half and narrowed the advantage to 16-14 with a Garyl Davies penalty and a Ryan Howells try. Fortunately, the latter stirred Newport from their slumbers they conjured up an excellent try with their only attacking intent of the half. A surging run from Riley, deft footwork from replacement 9 Kyle Barrett and good handling by the forwards led to a Mike Leahman try crucially converted by Wannell for a 23-14 lead. Cardiff hit back but seemed to run out of attackers time and again. In the end they settled for a losing bonus point as Davies kicked a penalty with the final action of the match.


Oct 31 - Newport claimed a vital away win at bogey side Aberavon to resurrect their title challenge this afternoon. The Black and Ambers were the dominant side for much of the match but held only a narrow 6-3 lead at half time. They held on for a 27-20 victory despite a late fightback from the Wizards. Newport's tries came from Poole, Coombes and Harries. Chris Wannell, playing at inside centre in place of Scott Williams, scored two penalties. Dan Griffiths converted all three tries. The Black and Ambers are sixth but are well placed to improve with four home games in a row coming up, two of which are in the Welsh Premiership.


Oct 24 - Newport were denied in the dying seconds of their clash with Pontypridd at Sardis Road this afternoon. Having taken a 20-18 lead via a Shaun Connor effort in injury time Newport conceded a penalty from an infringement in the tackle area. Dean Gunter kicked the goal for Ponty to win the game 21-20.

Newport made a very bright start leading 17-0 following tries from Gareth Wyatt and Andrew Brown both converted by Chris Wannell who also added a penalty. Ponty slowed dragged themselves back in to the game reducing the margin to 17-10 at half time and having much of the game in the second half. The injured Wannell was replaced by Shaun Connor at the break. Ponty stay top, Newport drop down to 7th, nine points adrift.


Oct 17 - Newport swept aside Pontypool at Rodney Parade this afternoon by 53 points to 14 in a local derby marred by a number of brawls and petty fights. The scored flatter the Eastern Valley side, Newport were a class apart from Pooler who seemed more interested in settling matters with their fists and with cheap shots. Niggle is a necessary part of derby rugby but despite warnings from the referee Pontypool continued to infringe and in one wholly embarrassing incident for their club a sent off player and members of the coaching staff ran on to the field of play to join in! Newport should not let the matter rest there and should ensure the incident is reported to the Welsh Rugby Union. Pontypool's total lack of discipline and bullying behaviour was more akin to parks rugby and should not be tolerated at this level of rugby. This was especially disappointing given that there were a couple of hundred vocal and good natured Pooler supporters on the Argus Terrace.

In fairness the officials dealt with matters appropriately. The initial fight occurred just fifteen minutes into the first half with a confrontation involving Mike Poole and a Pooler player which developed in to a mass brawl. A Pooler prop ran in with arms flailing and kicking. The latter was sent off, another Pooler player was carded as were Poole and Waldron.

A further fight broke out shortly afterwards. At this point the red carded prop, Pooler coach Leighton Jones and other members of their coaching staff ran on to the field of play to join in the melee. The referee (Leighton Hodges) gave a general warning to the teams. Pontypool continued to transgress and received two yellow cards for foul play, at one stage before half time having only twelve players on the field!

Meanwhile, Newport were monopolising possession and running in tries from all over the field. They were 32 points to nil up at half time and increased their lead to 46 points early in the becalmed second half before taking their foot off the pedal making a series of unsettling substitutions to allow Pooler to score a couple of late tries in a mistake-riddled final quarter. For Newport tries came from Awcock 2, Williams, Wannell, Williams, Wyatt and Poole. Wannell scored two penalties. Six of the tries were converted - three by Wannell and three by substitute Shaun Connor.


October 10 - Newport recovered from being 18-3 down at half time to beat Llandovery 27-18 at Rodney Parade this afternoon. Scott Williams scored from close range early in the second half to set Newport on the comeback trail. Chris Wannell had his conversion charged down but added three further penalties. A loop move involving replacement outside half Dan Griffiths set Alan Awcock free for Newport's second try, converted by Griffiths. The Black and Ambers are struggling to put sides away and remain stuck in mid-table in the Premiership with winless neighbours Pontypool scheduled to call next Saturday.


October 3 - Cross Keys lifted their game, previously non-existent this season, to beat Newport 20-8 at Pandy Park this afternoon. Although Newport dominated possession and territory they showed little composure missing several opportunities to score including three penalty kicks. Awcock scoring the Black and Ambers only try, an out of sorts Dan Griffiths added a penalty. Langdon and Andrews scored the tries for Keys.


September 26 - Newport produced a much improved display to overwhelm lowly Bedwas 46-15 at Rodney Parade. Despite a burly pack Bedwas offered little creativity. Newport were 20-10 up at half time but pulled away in the second half playing some attractive rugby. The Black and Ambers scored seven tries through Craig Hill, Andrew Coombs (2), Attwell, Wyatt, Gomer-Davies and a penalty try. Dan Griffiths enjoying a more composed game at outside half scored four conversions and a penalty. For Bedwas tries came from Sargeant and Greenlade, with a penalty and conversion from Worgan. In a bright day for Newport, Cardiff lost and Swansea drew, in addition Ebbw, Pontypool and Cross Keys all lost heavily and with Bedwas occupy the bottom four places in the Principality Premiership.


September 22 - Newport beat Pontypridd 13-6 in a hard fought Welsh Premiership battle at Rodney Parade this evening. The Black and Ambers only try came from wing Gareth Wyatt in the first half. This was converted by Shaun Connor who added a penalty in either half. Ponty scored two secnd half penalties through Aaron Bramwell. Pontypridd are fresh from a 28-3 bonus point victory at struggling Ebbw Vale. Newport move up to fourth with 'regional' sides occupying four of the bottom five places in the division.


September 19 - Newport went down to their second defeat of the season despite a second half rally at Glamorgan Wanderers. They narrowed the margin of defeat to 25-19 with a Dan MacShane try, Shaun Connor conversion and also four penalties from the fly half.


September 12 - Newport managed a much-needed win at home to Ebbw Vale but once again the level of performance disappointed. The Black and Ambers pack were bettered for most of the game by Ebbw, who were far quicker to the breakdown. However, in a poor game made worse by the refereeing of Nigel Whitehouse Newport eventually ran out 22-13 victors. Nick Wakley got all the points for Ebbw, a converted try, drop goal and penalty. Newport's two tries came from Alex Jones after a Scott Williams break and from Luke Hunter picking up to score at the back of a ruck. Shaun Connor scored four penalties.


September 5 - Newport lost 38-6 to Swansea at St. Helen's this afternoon.


Alex Jones battles to steal the ball off Quins in the line out, Dafydd Rosser is at the front for Newport

August 29 - Newport comfortably disposed of newly promoted Carmarthen Quins in their opening Premiership game at Rodney Parade this afternoon. The margin of victory (36-6) fully reflected the Black and Ambers ability to take scoring opportunities and also the superb quality of their defence.

Playing with the wind Newport started strongly and built up a winning margin within the first fifteen minutes with tries from Alex Jones and Dai Patterson (from a rolling maul - nice to see it back). Dan Griffiths converted one and added three further penalties in the half. Carmarthen offered little creativity but managed to kick a penalty courtesy of Gareth Cull. Cull added another after half time. In fact, Carmarthen had their best spell early in the second half but could not find a way through the excellent Newport defence. 

With centre Alex Hughes and flanker Craig Hill prominent Newport finished strongly, Hughes grabbed a deserved try and the best move of the match was finished in style by Gareth Wyatt to add a bonus point. Griffiths also converted a try and scored another penalty in a competent display at fly half. 


August 22 - Newport having controlled much of the match were at the wrong of the referee's whistle at Plymouth going down by 19-17 in their last pre-season outing before the start of the Welsh Premiership campaign. Newport will have the opportunity for revenge when they face Plymouth with neutral officials on November 28 in the British and Irish Cup!


August 15 - Newport beat Moseley at Rodney Parade this afternoon by 25-23 in their latest pre-season friendly. The English Division 1 side proved difficult opposition. The Black and Ambers scored tries through Poole, James and Wyatt.


August 10 - Newport retained their sevens title led by specialist Craig Hill. They disposed of an established sevens combination, the Welsh Wizards, by 20 points to 7 in the final at Rodney Parade. They have suffered an immediate blow to their squad as centre Tom Riley has been drafted in to the Dragons squad as they continue to suffer from a lack of strength in their line up in this area. It has emerged that new Dragons signing Matthew J Watkins is suffering from a hip injury. Riley's loss to the Newport squad may only be temporary therefore.

Results - Pool B 14-14 v Welsh Wizards, 31-15 v Newbridge, Quarter-Final 43-5 v Caerphilly, Semi-Final 28-12 v Cross Keys, Final 20-7 v Welsh Wizards


August 1 - Newport beat Rod Snow's Canadian side Newfoundland Rock 49-21 at Rodney Parade this afternoon. The Canadians provided an excellent work out for Newport ahead of this season's busy schedule. Wing Ryan Owen impressed with two tries.

Newport's fixture list for 2009/10 for the Premiership is available here. This site will be updated for the new season shortly.


Canada legend Rod Snow will be leading a team of top players from Newfoundland against his former club Newport on Saturday (kick off - 2.30pm).

“I’ll be very interested to see how Frank Walsh, who has just got his first Canadian cap, fares in the front row, and Ciaran Hearn, who will be playing in our back division,” said Snow. “Dean Blanks and Morgan Lovell are also ex-Newport boys who will certainly have a point to prove as will the non-Newfoundland players representing us for the first time. I can’t wait to take to the field. It’s been a few years since I last played at Rodney Parade, although I was over in Cardiff for the World Cup back in 2007. I have nothing but great memories of Rodney Parade and the people I met here.

“Newport will certainly give us an opportunity to test ourselves today and greatly assist us in preparing the team to face international competition should we make the final. There’s a lot of nostalgia for me about this match but at the same time I am looking forward to getting my hands dirty and knocking up against a few old faces!”


June 6 - Scott Williams and Adam Jones have signed to play for the Black and Ambers in 2009/10. Season ticket prices are unchanged for Newport in the coming season. A Hazell Stand ticket to watch Newport will cost Ł110 (or Ł90 if purchased as part of an early bird offer) a terrace ticket will cost Ł90 (or Ł70 if purchased early).


June 3 - Gareth Wyatt has joined Newport for the coming season. The 32 year old previously played for Pontypridd and Celtic Warriors before joining Newport Gwent Dragons in 2004. He has won two Welsh caps and will be a valuable addition to the Newport squad lining up for the British and Irish Cup.


May 27 - Sven Cronk was named Coach of the Year at last night's WRU Premiership Awards.


May 26 - Fixtures in the British and Irish Cup are now confirmed for Newport. They will play alongside Penzance, Plymouth, Exeter, Heriots and Leinster (development side) in Pool 1. The fixtures will be as follows - Nov 21st : Penzance (A) / Nov 28th : Plymouth (H) /
Feb 13th :Heriots (A) / Feb 27th : Irish 1 (A) / March 6th : Exeter (H)

     FIXTURES 2009 - 2010      LEAGUE TABLE here

Aug 8 SEVENS F W  
Aug 15 MOSELEY F 25 23
Aug 22 Plymouth A F 17 19
Aug 29 CARMARTHEN P 36 6
Sep 5 Swansea P 6 38
Sep 12 EBBW VALE P 22 13
Sep 18 Glam W P 19 25
Sep 22 PONTYPRIDD P 13 6
Sep 26 BEDWAS P 46 15
Oct 3 Cross Keys P 8 20
Oct 10 LLANDOVERY P 27 18
Oct 17 PONTYPOOL P 53 14
Oct 24 Pontypridd P 20 21
Oct 31 Aberavon P 27 20
Nov 7 CARDIFF P 23 17
Nov 14 LLANELLI P 23 17
Nov 20 EXETER BI 21 14
Nov 28 PLYMOUTH BI 3 3
Dec 5 Neath P 13 21
Dec 12 ABERAVON P 28 21
Dec 19 SWANSEA P P  
Dec 26 Ebbw Vale P P  
Jan 2 GLAM W P P  
Jan 9 Carmarthen P P  
Jan 17 Merthyr C 31 6
Jan 23 Bedwas P 24 6
Jan 30 Cardiff P P  
Feb 6 CROSS KEYS P 45 19
Feb 13 GAEL FORCE BI 27 5
Feb 20 CARDIFF C 20 22
Feb 27 Leinster A BI 10 6
Mar 3 SWANSEA P 43 9
Mar 7 Cornish Pirates BI 20 26
Mar 13 Llandovery P 37 27
Mar 19 Pontypool P P  
Mar 23 Ebbw Vale P 16 13
Mar 27 CUP C    
Mar 31 Cardiff P 17 19
Apr 3 Llanelli P 27 30
APR 6 GLAM W P 23 17
Apr 10 NEATH P 27 24
Apr 14 Pontypool P 15 20
Apr 20 Carmarthen Q P 47 14

KEY - Home fixtures in upper case. P=Welsh Premiership F = Friendly C= Cup BI = British /Irish Cup


"It was blindingly obvious years ago that the Dragons would have the devil’s own job winning over an unwilling county to support them but they have positioned themselves badly in their market. The regime of Tony Brown, in days when Newport were Newport, had its critics but compared with the present operation, they were light years ahead. They had a chief executive in Keith Grainger and a director of marketing in Phil Davies who were ambitious and driven, and so full of ideas that by the end of the season, you were almost prepared to consider emigration in order to escape them... One of the other key elements, as I have said many times, is for the club to be returned to its city, for all silly county tags to be removed and for Newport to become Newport again. It is the only way to maximise crowds and income." Stephen Jones 'Sunday Times' 14/05/06

Heineken Cup, Pool 4
Newport 28-17 Bath (13/10/00) BBC report

Newport announced their arrival in Europe by recording a brilliant victory over 1998 Heineken Cup winners Bath at Rodney Parade.

The Black and Ambers, roared on by a capacity 11,000 crowd, blitzed Bath through three first half tries.

And the 22-10 interval advantage proved too much of a hurdle for Bath to overcome, despite replacement fly-half Shaun Berne's try 12 minutes from time and persistent late pressure. Newport prospered because they took their chances, leaving Bath to dig deep ahead of next Saturday's tough pool four trip to Munster. The home side survived a nervous closing 10 minutes after being reduced to 14 men when their South African skipper Gary Teichmann was sinbinned for killing possession.

"It is now my strong view, given the above circumstances, that such viability and success can best be achieved if the infrastructure of Gwent Dragons is subsumed into the existing operations of Newport RFC." Marcus Russell, August 20 2003. 



Jan 1897 - Rugby's first superstar and Black and Amber hero Arthur Gould, leading Wales for the last time, steers them to a victory over England at Newport. Wales won by 1 Goal and 2 Tries (11) to Nil. He retired with 27 Welsh caps and having led his country 18 times - national records at the time. This giant of Newport and Welsh sport ought to be properly commemorated in his home city.